This season the Sunshine Coast Rugby Union will again have a four team finals series.
A total of six teams will be contesting A grade, women’s 12s, and Colts under 19s; and 10 in Reserve grade.
The system they are using gives the top two teams a double chance, in that they can lose their first game and still go on to win the Premiership.
The format progresses as follows:
- In Game 1 (the major semi final), the first- and second-placed teams play against each other. The winner qualifies directly for the final.
- In Game 2 (the minor semi final), the third- and fourth-placed teams play against each other. The loser is eliminated.
- In Game 3 (the preliminary final), the winner of Game 2 plays against the loser of Game 1. The loser is eliminated.
- Game 4 (the Grand Final) is then played between the winners of Games 1 and 3.
If the finals were to start this weekend, the A grade semis would look like;
- Major semi final: Uni vs Caloundra at the Uni.
- Minor semi final; Wynnum vs Noosa at Wynnum.
- Preliminary final: loser major semi vs winner minor semi at Caloundra
- Grand Final: winner major semi vs winner preliminary final at the Uni or Caloundra.